|Los Angeles, the way the Future Imagined. Goths rule here.|
Before I get really serious and Politically Wonky, here's a tune to enjoy while you read my argument:
I spent years studying Power. From religious power in the Dark Ages (and currently thriving in some Islamic Countries where we Goths are outlawed), to cultural power (TV and Radio as arbiters of what's acceptable), the power of funds (Buckley v. Valeo) which leads directly into my subsection of my Industry: Republican Politics of the LA and CA variety.
I. Who Are the GOP?
There are a few branches, not every Republican is the same (and neither is Every Goth -- but every Gothy Muse I see at the club are all beautiful). Let me re-cap, who is who (from an earlier post):
1) Social Conservatives [SoCons] -- South-East based (the Appalachian States as well) whose Right leaning Politics are Moral and Bible based. Their saving grace are they are believers of Democracy around the globe as a way of getting to Peace. Also, big supporters of Israel. However, they are used to slam the other branches by the MSM and people who don't know the GOP and how it operates;
2) National Security Republicans -- Based in Military areas and throughout cities in the Blue States. The concept of Wilsonianism (as the SoCons believe above) as a means of peace. These are supporters of Israel and other Democracies. They believe the Military can get rid of dictators and make Democracies as Truman did in Japan and Europe. (Most are former Democrats switching after 9/11). On domestic issues, see Social Libertarians;
3) Moderate Republicans -- Based in Big cities and Blue States (like MA and NJ). This is Governor Romney. They don't follow the SoCons, listen to the National Security Republicans and are Social Libertarians;
4) Fiscal Conservatives -- Most of the Republican Party and their cousins, the Tea Party. EVERYWHERE within the GOP. They (we) don't want to END Government, they (we) want a Government that is not overly AGGRESSIVE (i.e. see smoking laws in bars or Taxamaggedon);
5) Social Libertarians -- A kissing cousin of Libertarianism itself. These supporters are also found in Blue States. This is one of the few issues I fight within the Party (Goths, I can use the backup here). Paulbots are not Libertarians, but will only accept Paul (pere or fils) in the Executive Branch. SoCons need to know that we exist. What Social Libertarians (and Goths) believe is something simple: As the Government should not have carte blanche with your wallet (Fiscal Cons), neither should the Government decide your lifestyle if everyone is adult and consenting. Here is where my Gothy friends fit in.
My fight, within the GOP, is dealing with PaulBots whose concept of freedom is ONLY voting for Rep. Ron Paul and his scion, Rand (and are very boring debaters) and with the SoCons who would limit what we do (and how some of us Goths live).
II) Why I Love the Goths (especially the Gothy Muses like Charly, Violet, Neko, etc)
Why do I enjoy hanging out among the Goth scene?
I have had some of the most intelligent and funniest conversations on the Terrace of the Monte Cristo. And which is why, with only rumors and half-notes, a lot of my Gothy friends ran around saying "Rep. Paul Ryan is a SoCon!" He isn't. I said that here many times.
Find me the bills. If Rep. Paul Ryan was there on the House Floor to guide the Bill before the vote, you win. If he gave a speech, it could have been as a favor to help get his Budget passed.
To get anything done in the House (or Senate), you have to be able to trade for votes. I'll vote for your Siouxsie and the Banshees Billboard, if you vote for my Historic Castle for the Hills of my district. What's involved in the trade, the public never knows. That's how things get in Politics around the world (wherever there is no dictator,).
Or in short (forgive me!), don't believe the hype!
III. Building a Better LA and USA
But the SoCons are not as powerful since 06 (and the Tea Party People are basically Fiscal Conservatives dressed to celebrate my Birthday!), but they do not conform to vision of the GOP.
How do you fight and win?
Build an army.
When I was in DC, I learned two things:
1) Geography is Power; and
2) Power Resides in the Home Districts.
If you ignore your Home District (or State in the Senate), you get voted out. Los Angeles is filled with Social Libertarians and we Goths are Artists who should join the "Leave us Alone Coalition," (Meet Grover Norquist who wants to save you money!)
Here in LA (RPLAC) and California (CRP), we on the Right don't want to rule your life as the Democrats do today.
(Want to know why Ruin cannot stay open past 2 AM? Ask the all Democrat LA City Council! Why can't you smoke or drink at your leisure? Again, look Left! want to know why Gang Crime still owns one-third of LA? Same people,)
In Los Angeles and California, we want you to earn enough money to invest and spend. We don't care how you live your life (Most RPLAC and CRP members voted No on 8, remember Obama won CA. so enough votes came from the D's camp to shut it down) -- just be a Consenting Adult in what you do.
Heck, Romney is a Moderate. The reason I shifted Right is because the Right believes you should have more of your own money, not the State (not just CA and LA, but Federal too!); If we in RPLAC win LA (a County bigger then most States) with Goths are our backup, then the LA Goths have earned a seat at the Governing table.
That's how it works.
Win locally, change the National scene.
If you hear anything about any Republican, ask me. I can tell you where they come from and where their bread is buttered (Even if I have to research first.)
My Gothy friends, I'm not asking you to change in this cycle (but it would help) but help me and Political tribe change the City and then the Country. It's that simple.
If you want good candidates to look at today, let me name a few:
For DA -- Alan Jackson
US House Candidates from LA
David Miller in the San Gabriel Valley;
David Hernandez in the San Fernando Valley;
Bill Bloomfield for the Westside and Central LA
Keith McCowen for AD 54 (Crenshaw and points West)
My question: Why are we taken in so easily by rumors and half-truths when the person is a member of the GOP? And:
Will you help build the Army needed to change LA to make it the City of the Future again?
UPDATE: 9/24/12; 9:53AM PST: Welcome Instapundit travelers! Thank you Ed Driscoll!. Not only am I a Goth, but an Elected member of the 50th GOP Assembly District Committee (representing West Hollywood, Reagan's old homestead of Beverly Hills and points west to Santa Monica). I am #2 in the link.
Look around and if you can, hit the Tip Jar!