Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Post 700 -- Portrait of a Politico and Artist as a not-so Young man

On Thursday, I turned 40. 


Let's start with a tune:



Peter Gabriel, Growing Up (Live in Milan, 2003)



And I also share the birthdate as Jim Hoft of Gateway Pundit fame. 


And of course, here are a few important things that happened on December 16. -- interesting that the Boston Tea Party, the Declaration of Right in the English Bill of Rights is enacted and President Teddy Roosevelt's Great White Fleet began the journey around the world, all occurred on the same day.


Freedom and discovery on the same day. 


At this point in my life, I thought I would be in a non-roommate situation and either married or with a steady girlfriend by now (and of course, working full time at a good paying job, say about $50,000 a year).  But some dreams occur slowly.


Thanks to the Valley, I have written an article (with Robert McCain and my friend Lynne's help) to be published in the American Spectator by next February.  That article becomes a book before the end of next year.  As a writer and ideas guy, I thrive in this atmosphere. 

Since I have spent most of my life in politics (since I was 15), I recognize the fly-by-nighters like Meg Whitman and Maya Buki compared to those who understand the game such as Gary "Mr. Republican,"Aminoff, and Ryan Panzerello.

[Break from Thursday December 16, 2010 1 AM until Tuesday Morning December 21, 2010, 9 AM]

To get to the Policy game (which I enjoy and understand), I have to get my people elected first. Since I am not a fly-by-nighter, and I have friends in the ground forces, it would be helpful if any candidate who wants to win, statewide, Los Angeles County or Countrywide, courts those who have the memories and the experience.  So, if you are a candidate, show up and deal with the hard questions early.

My role is bringing the new media in play with the Old School.  Robert McCain is the journalist equivalent to what I do.  He works within media, I am trying to work within the realm of Politics and policy.  Can it happen?

Remember the statement, age and guile beat youth and inexperience.  At 40, I resemble the first part of that remark.  And even though I hang out among the Goths (and others who are NSFW on a political Blog but who are part of the scene), I still retain my Old School beliefs.

What do I mean by Old School?

1)    Favors returned by favors (within your power);

2)   Always back your friends, supporters and workers;

3)   Always stand up for your allies (Governor Romney hasn't, that is why he will fail);

4)  Respect the beliefs of others, convinve them if they want to be convinced; and

5)  Treat women with respect, and only go further when invited.

 
In the past few days, I've had a lot to think about.  One girl (whom I liked, cue Tears for Fears) I invited did not show at all, and in the Thousand Year Flood hitting Los Angeles, many people could not make it because of weather or other circumstances.  A few people gave me warning, a few others contacted me after the fact.

My Birthday shows up at the end of the year so I try to make it interesting before many people leave town.  I've had birthdays when no one showed up.  I've had birthdays when it was too cold, too wet (this weekend) and just too something or another

I celebrate anyway.

So, in all this meandering, what am I trying to say?

Right now I am friends rich, but money poor, hopefully, I will also be money rich as well as friends rich.  I am proud of who stands with me, in all my different communities I venture into.

The guy who goes where Angels fear to tread? That's me.
The guy whose genius creates ideas for companies and campaigns? Again, that's me.
The guy who sees conections to help everyone out?  Ditto.
And finally, the guy who stands by his beliefs, his friends, and is shooting for the moon in this lifetime? Yours truly, again.

It's been an interesting journey so far -- let's see what the next Movement will bring.

JSF







Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Valley! Please comment about the post and keep to the subject.

There is only one person (JSF) keeping track of comments, so as long as what you write is civil and close to the purpose of the post, you will see it.

Keep this in mind: Politics should not be Personal; then you have a place here.

Write! History will remember your words!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...