Yes, I'm addicted to the show Game of Thrones. No, I haven't read the books yet. (I am reading The Grid by Phillip Kerr then the Alan Dean Foster books of the Alien Series).
The best Presidents and Leaders of Congress understand "how the game is played," Unfortunately, President Obama is not one of them.
I'm sure he's a nice guy, but the Game of Thrones is not about the Battle, but about the Governance. And if he couldn't get a "Gun Rights," bill passed, its not the GOP's fault -- the Democrats have to look into thine own eyes here.
By the way, the world does not run by polls but by Leadership. Polls were useless in the Presidential Elections of 2004 and 2012, so I tend to tune them out.
The vote on the Amendment (not a Bill) was 54-46.
The baseline for the vote, starts, not with the NRA, but with a few lines in the Bill of Rights:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The Bold is where the debate is. We have a well-regulated militia known as the US Military (Thanks to all who serve!). But when it comes to Residential and commercial owners of guns, in the end, I'm a city kid.
My views are pretty simple when it comes to persons owning (legal) guns:
1) No domestic violence or felonies in your background;
2) No violent type of Mental health (schizophrenia and my bi-polar fit into this category); and
3) There are places where the light of civilization does not shine. People should be safe in their homes before police arrive. In the cities, they move quicker.
Here are the reasons President Obama failed: (A hint, look at one post on the sidebar-->)
1) President Obama is still unskilled at coalition building. To win, sometimes you must let the opposition "save face," To President Obama, that was not good enough. Hence, the loss of the Amendment;
2) Policy is about give and take behind closed doors. Was President Obama going to offer something on the Budget or Sequestration side to help pass this bill? NO. He doesn't know how to negotiate.
3) That act with Progress Kentucky and Senator McConnell: Do you think he would back President Obama on anything after it was discovered?
3A) The disrespect of not sending anyone to the funeral of the Late PM Thatcher. Respect for the dead in Politics must go both ways. President Obama made sure President Chavez (no friend of the Jews) was mourned while Thatcher was ignored.
It's a question weather President Obama is King Joffrey Baratheon or Lord Stannis Baratheon; In my case, I'd trust a Tyrion Lannister or Bronn to work in the People's House (closed to tours).
My question: After Five years, why can't President Obama and his Partisans remember how they acted during the last Administration and own up to the hard feelings still felt by the Right?