Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

President George HW Bush Pardoning the Turkey

If you are here on Thanksgiving, go! Spend time with your friends and family.  Eat a healthy dinner, politics can wait until Sunday.

Here is the History of Thanksgiving:
(From Plymouth Plantation)

Giving thanks for the Creator’s gifts had always been a part of Wampanoag daily life. From ancient times, Native People of North America have held ceremonies to give thanks for successful harvests, for the hope of a good growing season in the early spring, and for other good fortune such as the birth of a child. Giving thanks was, and still is, the primary reason for ceremonies or celebrations.

The First Thanksgiving

As with Native traditions in America, celebrations - complete with merrymaking and feasting - in England and throughout Europe after a successful crop are as ancient as the harvest-time itself. In 1621, when their labors were rewarded with a bountiful harvest after a year of sickness and scarcity, the Pilgrims gave thanks to God and celebrated His bounty in the Harvest Home tradition with feasting and sport (recreation). To these people of strong Christian faith, this was not merely a revel; it was also a joyous outpouring of gratitude.
 

The arrival of the Pilgrims and Puritans brought new Thanksgiving traditions to the American scene. Today’s national Thanksgiving celebration is a blend of two traditions: the New England custom of rejoicing after a successful harvest, based on ancient English harvest festivals; and the Puritan Thanksgiving, a solemn religious observance combining prayer and feasting.

Oh, you're still here? The rest is a personal post, so read on then!

-----
My sister talked to me this week about not being grateful for small things.

She was right, so this post is dedicated to her as this is all the things I am thankful for in the world:

1)  I am thankful for having an eclectic group of friends: Bloggers who opine, Goths who are great people, Capitol Hill Chiefs of Staff  (Karv and Todd) who help this country, and Politicos and Partisans who are some of the nicest people I have met and my friends from High School and College(s) who have seen me grow.. I am lucky to have all these friends;

2) I am thankful for having my best friend Ron who puts up with my Politicking and ever chatting nature; He is a Southern Gentlemen (who needs a nice girl), but I am just a poor kid from Queens. I try to look out for my Future Best Man  (when I find a nice or not so nice girl to settle down with).  He might be quiet, but he has a lot of smarts;

3)  I am thankful, with my disease, that the only addictions I have: Mainstream politics, beautiful Gothy Muses, comic books (Marvel still rocks! But I do like the Dark Detective from DC), and books (sci fi and non-fiction historical). My path could have taken me down drug addiction or alcoholism.   See! Mainstream Politics does keep you healthy!;

4) I am thankful I live in the City of Angels.  Where else can you live where Hollywood stars co-exist with us mere mortals under a cloudless sky?  The Industry is cool (I wish they would treat my Republican Tribe better), but were else can you Politic among Palm Trees and beautiful women?  And I love the challenge of being Han Solo among the Rebel Forces (Democrats run Everything = They are the Empire);

5) I am thankful my head is full of ideas.  From the Southland Fundraiser to the posts in the Valley, I always like creating.  Now, if only I can find a job that would let me do the same at $50,000/year....Step by step, JSF.  Writing is a calming thing.  If I opine or theorize, it is awesome researching and writing on the spot (I never plan the writing of posts, only the subject).  Thanks to all who donate to the Tip Jar that makes my job easier;

6) I am thankful living in the United States.  I grew up in the decaying towers of NYC in the 70's and then among the rising finances of DC until I landed among the sun and beauty of LA.  For me, Presidential Elections don't scare me (There is a future post on this for those scared of my Political Tribe), win or lose, I love my country the same.  Campaigning in LA (and among Goths) is fun.  I am a Congressional geek, tell me how Appropriations go compared to a Presidential race.  That a poor kid from Queens can learn the obscure and move among Politicos shows how great this country is;

 6A) One of the people who never get thanked are our Men and Women of the Outer Dark.  Thanks you all for putting your lives on the line for us, defending America in the dark.  Stay safe this holiday season.

7) Finally, I am thankful for having a great family.  My Sis is one of the most down to earth people I know (or as I like to say: She has her shit together) and My Mom is one of the coolest and nicest people you would ever get to know.  I am thankful both of these Ladies have helped through my disease and beyond.  When I do my posts to LAUSD, that's just a son trying to help his Mom.  Thanks Sis for helping me keep everything in perspective.

And finally, I want to thank all my readers from Studio City to Vegas to Moscow and all over the world -- THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Valley! Please comment about the post and keep to the subject.

There is only one person (JSF) keeping track of comments, so as long as what you write is civil and close to the purpose of the post, you will see it.

Keep this in mind: Politics should not be Personal; then you have a place here.

Write! History will remember your words!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...