Thursday, July 29, 2010

Inception: Playing with Your head

I've been a fan of Christopher Nolan's work since Memento. 


The Dark Knight was heads above most Comic book movies (and I'm a Marvel comics guy), and dealt with the theme of rise and fall (Harvey Dent/Two Face and the Mob) and madness (The Joker).  Even I know, Batman would never read the same. 

And today (thanks to an old AMC gift card my dad left behind in Winter 2002), I caught Inception.  Here is the trailer:


The movie blew my mind.  My taste in films are either the truly stupid, inane cheap sci-fi (Ultraviolet) or the thoughtful head changers (12 Monkeys, Fight Club, Usual Suspects, etc.); Inception is sci-fi, but falls into the latter category. While my taste in films leaves much to be desired, wait till you see my library.  That is where I have my depth.

Imagine a world where lucid dreaming is a place where Corporate spies can search your mind for secrets.  Then Nolan writes a scenario where an idea must be given to the mark, in an Escher devised plan

Without giving away too much of the plot, Di Caprio's character has some past troubles that interfere with his job, and as the team moves up within the levels of dreaming (the last sequence is spectacular filmmaking), all the stories come to a head.  How many levels? Go and see.

Some people are are debating the ending, I have my own theory [Here there be Dragons -- Spoilers ahead] Di Caprio dies as the flight ends, hence the spinning top [Spoilers end].  Nolan makes us question the validity of our dreams and the secrets we hold inside. 

For once, Hollywood has backed an original idea not from Comic-con or a remake.  Woo-hoo! I wish the rest of the Industry would follow. 

I will try to see Inception again.  If you haven't seen it, go for the mystery and enjoy the magic of the mind.

My question: Have you seen Inception? What did you think? (When you answer, please put a warning of spoilers. Thanks in advance)




 
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Valley! Please comment about the post and keep to the subject.

There is only one person (JSF) keeping track of comments, so as long as what you write is civil and close to the purpose of the post, you will see it.

Keep this in mind: Politics should not be Personal; then you have a place here.

Write! History will remember your words!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...